Sheer Melody

A mole's eye-view of the Cosmos


Don't think twice, it's all right


This post is dedicated to one of music's most amazing poets - Bob Dylan.

Dylan has spellbound me for ages. For ages I have listened to his music - waiting for something to spring right out of the blue - a thought, a feeling, a premise which I am acquainted with, yet unknowingly, did not know how to put... I feel a desire to listen to his words, immortalize them, a self-perpetuating situation.

What I like best about this man, is his ability to drive the point home. As he sings, he lets the listener reflect on the world around him, lets him get a new perspective of things. There were scores of other artists who had the same sentiments, which brings us to the point - what made Dylan so special? Well, there is only one thing - it was him, and himself alone on a totally personal level. He came to New York to make it big, told everyone that he was an orphan from New Mexico, and snubbed his upbringing for many many years. For the common man, for the youth, it made him larger than life - it made him the spokesman for the younger generation. He sings the song "Don't think twice, it's all right", inspiring and desiring to be a rambling, easy-to-forget lover, and quite amazingly exposes all his intrinsic vulnerabilities to the entire world. The honesty of his lyrics endeared him to the masses with amazing constancy.

What I like best about his music, is that he is always on the point, relentless, never stopping to take a breather. He doesn't aim or promise to take us to heaven, he just tries to define the confusion we live in, give us a certain level of understanding, howsoever minute; most of all, his music gives us strength...

It ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
It don't matter, anyhow
An' it ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
If you don't know by now
When your rooster crows at the break of dawn
Look out your window and I'll be gone
You're the reason I'm trav'lin' on
Don't think twice, it's all right

It ain't no use in turnin' on your light, babe
That light I never knowed
An' it ain't no use in turnin' on your light, babe
I'm on the dark side of the road
Still I wish there was somethin' you would do or say
To try and make me change my mind and stay
We never did too much talkin' anyway
So don't think twice, it's all right

It ain't no use in callin' out my name, gal
Like you never did before
It ain't no use in callin' out my name, gal
I can't hear you any more
I'm a-thinkin' and a-wond'rin' all the way down the road
I once loved a woman, a child I'm told
I give her my heart but she wanted my soul
But don't think twice, it's all right

I'm walkin' down that long, lonesome road, babe
Where I'm bound, I can't tell
But goodbye's too good a word, gal
So I'll just say fare thee well
I ain't sayin' you treated me unkind
You could have done better but I don't mind
You just kinda wasted my precious time
But don't think twice, it's all right

0 Responses to “Don't think twice, it's all right”

Post a Comment